Wisdom Teeth Removal
WHAT ARE WISDOM TEETH?
Wisdom teeth often known as third molars are the last teeth to erupt. One usually gets them in late teens or early twenties. However, even instances of eruption in late adulthood are common. If they erupt smoothly and without any interruption, then they can be proved as an asset. But the problem with third molars is that in case they do not erupt properly or are misaligned, they would need to be extracted. If they are poorly aligned, then they can damage the adjacent teeth.
Table of content
It is also possible that wisdom tooth is impacted. This means that the wisdom teeth remain intact in the soft tissue and partially break or erupt through gums.
If they remain partially open, then the chances of bacteria entering the tooth are high which may cause infection & lead to the swelling in the jaw, pain and general illness.
Because of the misaligned positioning of the jaw, it will become difficult to brush or floss making the tooth prone to decay and gum disease.
There is 4 set of wisdom teeth two on each upper and lower jaw.
Nowadays majorly due to lifestyle changes people do not get wisdom teeth. This is because the jaws do not develop completely & properly which restrain the wisdom teeth to erupt.
- Pain behind molars which can increase with time.
- Redness, swelling, tenderness which can lead to infection
- Foul breath, bad taste can also be detected due to wisdom teeth
- Jaw pain and stiffness
- Crowding: The adjacent teeth are getting harmed. Because of the misalignment wisdom teeth if erupts in the wrong angle then it can harm other teeth.
- Jaw Damage: Wisdom teeth can damage your nerves making the jaw hollow.
- Sinus Issue: Wisdom teeth can be a reason for sinus pain and congestion.
- Gum Problem: It will be difficult to clean the area which results in swelling of the tissue.
- Gaps in Gums: The pocket is created due to swollen gums thus helping in the process of decay
The tooth removal process depends upon the stage in which the wisdom teeth is. It is easy to extract wisdom tooth if it has fully erupted. But if the tooth is impacted then it will require an incision in the gums. Usually, the tooth is extracted in parts to minimize the amount of bone required to be extracted for tooth removal.
Post Wisdom Tooth Removal
- Avoid vigorous rinsing and touching the area
- If you start feeling discomfort take the prescribed medicines
- A certain amount of bleeding is expected, however, if the bleeding exceeds then visit your dentist immediately
- Swelling around mouth and cheeks is common for a couple of days
- Be on a liquid diet for the first few days. Avoid the use of straw
- Do brush twice a day but make sure you are gentle on rinsing
The cost of a tooth extraction depends on the position of the tooth, the degree of its impaction, the requirement of anaesthesia, the requirement of sutures etc. Always talk to your dentist about these factors that may influence the cost of the procedure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It depends on how they have erupted and grown. In many instances, it is seen that the mouth does not have enough space, thus causing crowding impacted wisdom tooth. In such cases, the wisdom teeth need to be removed. If they have grown without any hassle, then there is no need.
Dentists usually prefer to numb the area before wisdom tooth extraction, and thus recommend a local anaesthesia. If you need to get them removed, consult Best Doctors For Wisdom Teeth Surgery Treatment In Nagpur at your nearest SmilenGlamour Dental clinic.
The wisdom tooth pain may be there for at most a couple of days. In these days, you will need to take all the necessary precautions as directed by your dentist.